Saturday, September 18, 2010

Not a good neighbor

We were hanging out in the front yard late this afternoon when our neighbor pulled into her garage and she and her daughter got out of the car. At first I didn't know if it really was our neighbor or a friend of hers.  She started down the driveway to the mailbox and I realized, yes, it is Ann.  Then I felt horrible.  She has lost all of her hair and had a cute scarf on her head. I had NO idea she had been sick!  I asked her about it and she said she started her first round of chemo.  Since her 9 year old daughter was right there, I didn't want to ask too many questions, and we continued to talk about other things.  So I don't even know what exactly she is getting chemo for.  Now hopefully I will be able to chat with her again and see if there is anything we can help her with as she goes through chemo.

I also can't help but keep Kay Van Hulzen in my thoughts also.  How I wish I had unlimited time so that I could stay with Kay and Ann and their families and help out however needed.  Meals, being there for a hug or a chat, or little things like bring them a coffee.

A couple from church had to return from mission work in Honduras because the husband needed treatment for cancer.

Cancer is hitting too close to home.  Prayers are being lifted for all.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I'm sorry to hear about your neighbor and know that you are and will be a good neighbor. You must not kick yourself for something you did not know anything about. We are praying specifically for at least five people with cancer. We'll add your neighbor to our prayers,and will pray for your family, too, as you reach out to be there for them.