Today was not a big election in Apple Valley. All that was on our ballot was school related. A levy question and school board members. I know Minneapolis and St. Paul were voting for mayor, and other municipalities were voting on city council members, but here in the Valley, we were pretty boring. Thankfully. I'm not a big fan of politics. I have my opinions, but I {usually} choose to keep them pretty close to the chest and not broadcast my feelings all over Facebook or this blog or Twitter. My friends usually know my stance on important issues, but I'm not looking for debates or confrontations wherever I go.
In the last couple of weeks I have inadvertendly raised the hackles of some friends and family members. That was never my intent. Today, I simply reposted something from the school district as a way to remind people to vote. Yes, I think the levy is important, not only for my job and my sanity, but for the value of the homes in our neighborhoods and the well being of a community. But, to me, I don't want to battle this out on Facebook. Nor did I intend to bash jury duty when I posted about that a couple of weeks ago. I don't mind serving on jury duty, it just makes a teacher's job very, very difficult! Planning for a sub takes at least 3 times as long as if I'm just going to teach the classes myself. Plus the timing of my summons means I may miss the 1st week of a trimester. I think the only thing worse could be missing the 1st week of a school year. The first week sets the tone and expectations for the rest of the trimester.
So while I may not always be pleased with the results of our freedoms and who is elected or levies that pass or don't pass, or people that are looking for debates, I a grateful to live in a country where I do not need to live in fear.
No comments:
Post a Comment