I am extremely grateful that our children attend a Christian school. Connor's teacher, Mr. Wayne Coburn, passed away on New Years Day. We were extremely stunned to hear the news. All we knew at the time was that it was a massive heart attack.
The following is something I emailed to extended family today:
This morning they invited all the 4th grade parents to come with their children into the classroom for the first 1/2 hour of the day. The principal and pastor spoke a little bit. One thing that was good was that the principal told us what happened that day--I had never heard the exact story of what happened. It was New Year's morning and Mr. Coburn was helping his wife and daughter (the youngest child, not married, in her 1st year of teaching) take down the Christmas decorations at home. He didn't feel quite right, thought it was indigestion, and went to bathroom. That is when he collapsed. The paramedics arrived, including a former student of his, and performed CPR. They brought him to the hospital where they continued to try to revive him, but he passed away.
The entire school then had a chapel. School has been cancelled for Thursday, the day of the funeral. Mrs. Coburn has asked that the TLO kids sing a song at the funeral. I've heard from others that their class sang songs very loudly during devotions in the morning :-)
Mr. Coburn had taught with his wife in a Lutheran school north of the Cities for 35 years. That school closed this past spring. His wife retired, and he came to teach at TLO. He was driving about 40 miles one way to school everyday. He was truly a blessing to the class of 9 boys and 1 girl this fall. He stood 6'8" and was so gentle and kind. He coached Connor in soccer and basketball this year. He was such a great teacher and coach.
I feel truly blessed that Connor was able to have Mr. Coburn as a teacher for the first semester. Please keep him, his classmates, and the school board in your prayers as they deal with the funeral and finding a teacher for the remainder of the year. Their teacher from last year retired, and she was able to sub today and tomorrow, but they are trying to decide what to do for the rest of the year.
We are blessed to have the kids in a school where they can talk about the fact that through Jesus we have eternal life. That even though Mr. Coburn is no longer here on this earth, we can be assured that he is in heaven. He was a true Christ-like example here on earth.
Mr. Coburn was not real great with computers. In fact, this year he sent his first email! Our last message from him via the school messaging system was a thank you for the gift cards the class purchased for him. Below his name was the following verse: "This God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide even to the end." Psalm 48:14. How appropriate that verse was that he sent 2 days before he dies.
After I left Connor's school and headed to my own, Mercy Me was on the radio...I Can Only Imagine. Again, how appropriate. Below are the words to this powerful song.
I can only imagine
What it will be like
When I walk
By your side
I can only imagine
What my eyes will see
When your face
Is before me
I can only imagine
[Chorus:]
Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still
Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all
I can only imagine
I can only imagine
When that day comes
And I find myself
Standing in the Son
I can only imagine
When all I will do
Is forever
Forever worship You
I can only imagine
[Chorus]
I can only imagine [x2]
I can only imagine
When all I will do
Is forever, forever worship you
No comments:
Post a Comment